Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Bad Day and Some Cabinet Pulls

I have been MIA for a little while. I had a couple long days and long nights last week, and when you have two babies it's almost impossible to catch up when that happens! Not to mention my parents were just in town for almost a week. I'm not sure we were ever home for more than a couple hours for kiddo nap time for 5 days straight! We even went down to Portland to visit the Portland Zoo, which I do not recommend. I keep getting these wild hairs to go to the zoo, thinking it will be soooo fun. My patient husband humors me and we go to the zoo (usually Seattle) and it always sucks! I don't know why I keep trying to go back thinking it will be fun. Isn't that the definition of insanity? I can't really argue with that, since there is no doubt that I lost my sanity a long time ago. Probably about the same time Abigail was born. 

I had a great, productive day after my parents left. I got our house mostly back in order, all of our new purchases put away, etc. I even hung a couple of my new picture frames to start on my gallery wall. I had to remove the frame that I made, and hang it again because our giant Ikea couch sold (YAY!!!!) and our smaller sofa from upstairs moved to its place, so the frame was no longer centered on the wall. I hung it this time with a 3M fake nail; it's a metal strip with a small nailhead sticking out of it that you stick to the wall with a 3M strip. I hung my homemade frame, and 2 11x14 frames from Ikea with these things, and by the end of the evening one of the Ikea frames had already fallen down. 

After all that, I was exhausted and a little sad that I suck at putting up pictures, but at least our house was not a wreck. Then I accidently stayed up til 11 watching the olympics. (My computer is reminding me that accidently is actually spelled accidentally, but I prefer accidently, so it stays.) Anyway, unfortunately for me, my son decided last night was a great night to wake up EVERY 15-30 MINUTES ALL NIGHT LONG. Not cool. So I was a wreck yesterday morning. Abigail didn't get up til around 9am, and was supposed to go to daycare at 9:15. She was being especially obnoxious, throwing herself on the floor in a fit because she couldn't wear her dirty shorts from the day before. I didn't have the patience or energy to make her do what she needed to do to get ready for daycare, so I texted her provider and told her we weren't coming today. I thought I would just rest a little bit, and then tackle some more of my to-do list, but my photo wall had other plans. I was sitting on the couch complaining about my exhaustion to my dad on the phone when BAM! My homemade solid wood frame with a large glass panel fell down right onto my head. Not flat on my head, but straight down, skinny edge slamming right into the top of my skull. It fell from my head onto the floor, and thankfully Abigail wasn't hurt, she was just crying in reaction to my fit of rage, curse words, screaming, crying, tearing the remaining frames off the wall and just barely managing not to throw them onto the floor in anger. I spent a good 5 minutes having a panic attack and crying while my poor dad is listening to me whimper about how NOTHING ever goes the way I want it to, even though I try SO HARD to do things to make my house look nice. Even the simplest things find a way to go wrong, EVERY TIME. I am not exaggerating, by the way, this is true. Nothing ever goes the way it is supposed to when it comes to my house. Anyway, now my day is totally ruined, and I pretty much spend the rest of the day in the fetal position feeling sorry for myself and my aching head. I did manage to hand the rest of my pictures though, with nails this time. I don't love the arrangement, but it's better than nothing I guess. And it's better than having 15 thick frames on my kitchen table. 

Now that you've read all about my no good, very bad day, here is a picture of my little Patrick sticking his tongue out to make you (me?) feel better:

One of the things I managed to accomplish on my first day post-parent visit was put all of the drawer pulls on the drawers in our kitchen. Getting them centered in the right spot was kind of a pain in the butt, but after doing the first one, I just lined up the first drawer facing the next drawer, clamped the drawer fronts together, and drilled through the first drawer into the second one. I repeated this for all the drawers, just making sure the first drawer was centered on the drawers that were longer than that one. 
(I used the one white drawer as my first drawer. Patric LOVES that we only have one white drawer right now.) (Not really.) Don't mind the mess on my counter. I hadn't cleaned that up yet when I took these pictures. Obviously.

Here is a close up. It will look really  nice once all the drawers are done! I need to get to work on the next one. One day drawer at a time!

I will try to get caught up this week on what I've been doing. And post photos of my gallery wall. Anybody want to come paint drawers with me?? Anyone else had days so bad you start thinking about going back to work so someone else can raise your kids?? Hopefully I can catch a break soon before this turns into a "read about how exhausted I am ALWAYS" blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment